- Pay 0% VAT
- £450 Million of Government Funding for Boiler Upgrade Scheme (BUS)
- Up to £6,000 Per Household Government Heat Pump Grant
- Grant to Cover:
- We take care of the whole process for you
Get in Touch With JL Phillips Today on 01636 642790 to Find Out More
Jump to section
What is the Boiler Upgrade Scheme
In order to help the United Kingdom reach its target of net-zero by 2050, and to make sure all new heat pump installations are low carbon by 2035, the British government is investing £450 million in green home improvement. This has taken the form of the Boiler Upgrade Scheme (BUS), previously known as the Clean Heat Grant.
The scheme is designed to help households shift to low carbon heating units and mainly focuses on lowering carbon emissions emitted by domestic buildings that continue to rely on fossil fuels. The scheme is also a step forward toward the government’s pledge of installing 600,000 heat pumps every year by 2028.
The boiler upgrade grant has now replaced the Domestic Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) that ended in March 2022. The Heat Pump Grant is now available only in England and Wales, meaning that unfortunately, those living in Scotland won’t be able to reap the benefits.
Under the Boiler Replacement Programme, eligible households will be offered vouchers worth £5,000 for Air Source Heat Pumps and Biomass Boilers and £6,000 for Ground Source Heat Pumps.
Thus, not only will opting for the Boiler Upgrade Scheme 2022 exponentially increase your home’s energy efficiency, but it could also save you a whole lot of money in the long run.
How Can it Benefit You?
The Gov Boiler Upgrade Scheme can result in great benefits for you and your household. This exceptional heat pump grant is specially designed to provide households in the UK with the opportunity to shift to eco-friendly heating systems for their homes.
Moreover, with our high-quality heating systems, you can rest assured that your home is in safe hands.
Now let us take a look at how the Boiler Upgrade Grant can benefit you.
Expert Installation and Maintenance Services
With JL Philips, you will receive the most efficient and expert heat pump installation and maintenance services. With years of experience in supplying renewable heating systems, JL Phillips is UK Government MCS Accredited.
Under the Boiler Upgrade Scheme, you can get the services of one of the largest heat pump specialists in the country at an extremely affordable price. To learn more about our products, click here now!
First and foremost, the scheme has an incredible financial incentive that can save you up to £6,000 on green heat pumps and boilers.
The voucher can be used to replace your current fossil fuel-based heating systems with renewable heating systems that work with electricity. Additionally, according to the spring statement 2022, you will pay 0% VAT on green retrofit home improvements. Making it an even more cost-effective scheme.
One of the biggest reasons to shift to a renewable heating system is its brilliant positive impact on the environment.
Unlike a gas boiler, using a ground source and air source heat pumps can significantly reduce your carbon footprint. Additionally, by replacing fossil fuel-based heating systems with air source heat pumps, you can save more than 4000kg of carbon every year.
Renewable heating systems are up to 400% energy efficient and can save you a large amount of energy and money in the long run.
With expert maintenance and installation services by JL Philips, you can rest assured that your heat pump is functioning at the highest level of efficiency.
Ground source and air source heat pumps require very low maintenance in comparison to other fossil fuel-based systems like oil boilers.
Moreover, renewable heating systems also last longer than other heating systems.
How Can I Apply?
Only an MCS Certified installer can apply to the OFGEM for a voucher under the Boiler Upgrade Scheme 2022. Fortunately, we are UK government MCS accredited and can take care of the application on your behalf. All you need to do is consent to the application and here’s what will follow:
- Applying for Your Voucher – As your installer, JL Phillips will take care of this step for you to ensure a smooth process.
- Redeeming Your Voucher – This step will be initiated by your installer, i.e. JL Phillips, as it’ll confirm the process of completed paperwork and proof of installation.
The government, however, has also mentioned that they’ll be working closely with the grant administrator to create a digital solution and detailed design of the administration to make sure it works for every applicant.
What’s included in the Boiler Upgrade Scheme
The Government Boiler Upgrade Scheme will support the following types of systems:
While biomass boilers are covered under the grant, only those installed in rural areas with a population of less than 10,000 and properties that have no connection to the gas grid are considered. They won’t be applicable for installation in urban areas.
Am I Eligible For The Boiler Upgrade Scheme?
Although the eligibility criteria for the Boiler Upgrade Scheme are similar to Domestic RHI, based on the latest government information, a guideline has been created to help homeowners understand what’s required to be qualified for the grant.
All homeowners including small and private landlords can apply for the scheme so long as they meet the following:
- Your property needs to have a valid EPC (Energy Performance Certificate) issued within the last 10 years. Having an EPC will not only show how energy-efficient your building is but also give it a rating between A (very efficient) to G (least efficient). This will further help understand the number of carbon emissions emitted by your home and how expensive it is to heat the property. To know more about all the latest updates on EPC for landlords, click here.
- While it’s important to have an EPC, you need to ensure that there aren’t any outstanding recommendations for cavity or loft wall insulation. You can be exempted though, provided the property is located in a conservation area or is government-listed.
- For you to qualify for the grant, your home should either be a custom-made building or an existing one. This criterion is the same as for domestic RHI, which means that new builds will NOT be eligible. The reason is that it’s complicated and expensive to transition retrofits to low carbon heating when compared to new builds.
- You must get your requirements assessed and show at least one quote from a qualified and MCS certified installer like JL Phillips to be eligible for the scheme. While applying for the voucher is your responsibility, your installer will redeem it for you as that ensures the voucher is being put to good use.
What Can I Expect From The Boiler Upgrade Scheme?
As mentioned earlier, the Boiler Upgrade Scheme focuses on helping households transition to a low carbon heating system while enabling them to cut down on their carbon footprint. It is a step towards achieving the net-zero target by 2025.
If you’re looking to make the switch to a low carbon heating system and would like to take advantage of this grant, speak to JL Phillips or a certified heat pump installer now.
How Does it Differ from RHI?
While both the schemes have a common goal, the main difference between the Boiler Upgrade Scheme and RHI is in terms of its funding.
The RHI operates through a tariff-based system, where the payment varies based on the property and its efficiency. Moreover, the payment is made on a quarterly basis over a period of seven years after the unit is installed.
In contrast, the Boiler Grant offers vouchers covering upfront expenses of up to £6,000 for the heating system being installed. Furthermore, according to the latest spring statement, the UK government has decided to scrap VAT from some retrofit home improvements.
Now that you know everything about the Boiler Upgrade Scheme 2022, it’s time to get in touch with us and opt for the low carbon heating systems for your home.